Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Preferred English Equestrian Magazine? Any book advice for studying hunter jumper conformation?

I've recently shifted my focus from Western to English and more specifically, hunter-jumpers. I would like to find some books or articles focused on the physical traits a horse must possess to be considered a good prospect.





I'm not looking to buy a horse, just to educate myself.Preferred English Equestrian Magazine? Any book advice for studying hunter jumper conformation?
Can you get a subscription to the Horse and Hound magazine? If not, you can view on line:


http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/


This is a weekly publication which covers all aspects of horse sport, except Western. There are often articles on what makes the perfect jumper or dressage horse, and a low down on breeding and different horse breeds. There is also a forum you can either browse or join. I've used it when I've been looking for recommendations for stallions to suit one of my mares, but you can use the search facility for whatever you are interested in.





This Warmblood is bred in a very similar way to my WB mare and filly, though my mare is a Dressage type and my filly will make a super Show Jumper, not a Working Hunter, which is what we call them here in the UK:


http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl鈥?/a>





I'd look at horses with a high percentage of TB blood. Breeds come and go with fashions and such like, at the moment the continental Warmbloods are very popular but they come in many shapes and types, personal preference. Irish Sport horses are always popular Hunters, as are large-boned Thoroughbreds. A drop of cold blood is always good for a Hunter. Cleveland Bays make fantastic hunters, especially when crossed with a TB.





Over all, a Hunter needs a good sloping shoulder, a great ';backside'; and good bone - 9'; or so, a ';good length of rein, not a short fat neck, which is set well on the shoulder. Depth of girth and a good chest are also important. His back shouldn't be too short, or too long. Strong feet and short canon bones, with short, well shaped pasterns -too long and you are heading for injury. He also needs a strong, well shaped hock. He should be ';hansom, not pretty';. If this link works, it shows my ideal type for this job:


http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl鈥?/a>











I hope you find these links of some use. The rest is just my opinion, based on my experiences.


Good luck and have fun with your education :D


Preferred English Equestrian Magazine? Any book advice for studying hunter jumper conformation?
Practical Horseman has a section devoted to conformation in each issue...get the english version, since it has both western and english publications. Equus magazine is great, and covers a wide variety of subjects including the latest research and findings in the horse world. I recommend subscribing to both.
BOOKS:





Hunt Seat Equitation by George H. Morris





The American Jumping Style by George H. Morris





(All books by-) William C. Steinkraus and Bertlan de' Nemethy





Breaking Bad Habits in Horses by Jo Bird





There are no problem horses, only problem riders by Mary Twelveponies





Complete Horse Riding Manual by William Micklem(this was the first book I ever got-horse wise-and to this day I use it frequently, above all this is a must.)





Also a Vet book is essential to any horse enthusiast! I have the one Equine Veterinary Medicine by Barb Crabb





Also even though you are interested in Hunter/Jumper (I do Hunters) It is very important to learn all you can about Dressage(basic Dressage anyway, so you can improve your flat. You will only be in flight for half a second and the horse takes care fo that part. Its your job to set him up properly for that and that is during the flat work.That said I suggest-)





MAGAZINES:





Dressage Today





Practical Horseman


(Get a subscription to these!)Lol.





WEBSITES:





http://www.ushja.org





http://www.usef.org





http://www.equisearch.com (You will spend hours on this one!Lol.)





If you want me to send you my fave articles(ones with the most useful information)I have them email me and I will send you their link!





EMAIL:





ride2lve_live2rde@yahoo.com





Good Luck!
magazine: i get practical horseman, equus, horse illustrated, and young rider...they allllll help out alot, but if i HAD to chose one i would say practical horseman...


books: i would go with any george morris book for hunters too...


i ALMOST got to train with him, but i didnt have a horse at the time...*sigh*
I've always enjoyed ';Horses';, the show horse magazine with LOTS of pictures.





There's another coffee table type book called ';The Enclycopedia of the Horse'; which is a LARGE coffee table type book.
I think Equus is the best overall horse magazine out there. It does not only cover English, or H/J, but focuses on the horse.





Practical Horseman is also a good magazine, but I prefer Equus.
My favorite magazine for riding is ';Practical Horsman'; (although this month focuses on dressage.





A great book on riding is ';Hunter Seat Equitation'; by George Morris. It's a classic.
Practical Horseman





all its about is jumping and dressage

No comments:

Post a Comment