Monday, August 23, 2010

Can someone give me any advice on Basic Discus Fish Care?

I'm planning on getting some.Can someone give me any advice on Basic Discus Fish Care?
- 1 fish per 10 gallons





- 28c/82fh water temp





- Nitrates %26gt;10ppm, ammonia 0, nitrites 0





- High protein diet





- Ph best on the acidic side but if 'stable' can live with a more alkaline rangeCan someone give me any advice on Basic Discus Fish Care?
Well, the best advice I can give you is to buy a book on them and read it cover to cover before getting them. Basics:





At least a 50 gallon for a pair or a 100 gallon for a group





A pair is a breeding pair, not just two random fish





Preferably kept in a nicely planted tank





Best kept with calm, low-waste tankmates, but better kept in a species tank when first starting out with them





Do best in water heated to about 80-84 degrees and a ph of neutral or less





Absolutely must have clean, clean water. Require understocked tanks (no inch per gallon nonsense with these guys) and well maintained tanks. These fish are known for being delicate. They are actually rather tolerant of things like ph, but are very intolerant of dirty water.





Not good for first fish, these are much more suitable to experienced keepers.
I use to raise Discus.At the time I got into it,they were the most expensive fresh water fish you could buy.Let me start out by saying that they are a lot of work and care to maintain them.My tank was strictly a Discus tank.They require frequent water changes and a varied diet.The best thing you can do is to get a book on them and read,read,read.They like a warm tank,at least 82 degrees.Every time you do a water change,you must put in stress coat.I had live plants in my tank.When I fed them,I'd give them live worms,frozen beef heart and live brine shrimp along with live worms.I invested a lot of money in them.They are a beautiful fish but if you don't know what your doing with them then your going to be in trouble.They need to be raised in a big tank.Mine was a 90 gallon.There's a lot that can go wrong,I found it to be a full time job.If this is your first tank then I would suggest you start off with some basic tropical fish and even then,you need to know what gets along with what.Some fish lay eggs and some bear their young live.You have to have the commitment and time to raise these fish.They are a real challenge to care for.Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment