Thursday, August 19, 2010

Does anyone have any advice to help me stop drinking?

Im pretty sure Im an alcoholic, I drink daily and I have been for about 6 months, Im fed up with it and the way it affects my life. I enjoy those first few drinks, but after that I get totally out of control and just keep going. Has anyone ever been there?Does anyone have any advice to help me stop drinking?
Yes, i have been in that situation in my late teens and twenties, i just didn't know when to stop. It got very out of hand in the end, believe me, it gets worse. You must go to the doctor and get some medication to help you with the withdrawal symptoms of giving up alcohol, as well as asking the doctor if you can be referred to a counsellor and maybe go to meetings with fellow alcoholics,,, good luck...Does anyone have any advice to help me stop drinking?
Oh yes, I've been there. I do have advice. It's only going to get worse--you'll drink when you are happy, you'll drink when you are sad, you'll drink just because. It will become everything to you. You will be worried when there isn't liquor in the house and you mission will be to get some ASAP. Then you'll have to have a drink to stop the shakes. If you really don't care, you'll drive drunk and get arrested, not go to work, get fired, lose your family, lose your house, lose everything and become homeless and a beggar. Fortunately, I was a drinker like many of the old dads, drinking every night and all weekend but never missed a day of work or drove drunk, etc. I got pancreatitis and that's what sent me to the hospital and that's when I got detoxed. Look in the paper today or do a web search on alcoholics anonymous and find a meeting and go, you will be welcomed, no questions asked. If you can, talk to whoever is leading the meeting and tell them you want to quit drinking and need a sponsor. That person will explain everything to you. You just have to stop drinking. Most of us drink to cover up a bad hurt and/or repressed anger and AA will help you through that with the 12 Step Program. Please go ASAP to a meeting--they are held everywhere at just about every hour and they are usually packed with people from all walks of life.
You definitely need to get some help from Alcoholics Anonymous. This sounds to me like a habit that you have had for six months. You should seriously say to yourself over and over, ';I'm going to stop drinking because I said that I would.'; Then follow through with getting the necessary help.
Get help....go to a doctor or go to AA meetings. This is a disease and it needs to be treated. Do it before it gets way way out of control. Dont feel less of a person when you do. Your being strong right now admitting to it...that is the first step. Taking care of yourself right now is the best you can do. Good luck and get healthy!
This a a very brave thing to admit. Start small! Buy less Alch., drink less when you go out, perhaps go to AA meeting where other people will be going through the same thing. If you join them they will have support groups and advisers to talk to. Avoid seeing people who drink a lot. I personally have not been there, but i would like to try and help.
dont buy any alcohol. I know it is easier said not done. My mom had a big problem then one night my dad and I dumped all of the alcohol down the sink. But it later helped my mom from drinking.
Hi





I am 25 yrs without a drink (yes I know you don't believe that, lol).





I recommend smartrecovery.org for further info.





Good luck with your efforts.
I think your best way forward is to join a group such as Alcoholics Anonymous to help you with your problem drinking and good luck.
you need to get up with AA
  • chapped lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment