Saturday, August 21, 2010

I need all advice on this decorating question. How would you make a living room come together with this furn.

I want to get another sofa for my living room, but I need it to tie my brown and black plaid (houndstooth type) curtains together with my floral sofa and matching highback chair. The floral print has red, green, blue and the background is offwhite. The reason I think that maybe somehow I can tie in the curtains with the couch is because the roses in the center go to a red that is so dark then black. My decor is mexican pottery and rustic furniture, mother and child type statues. The floral sofa and chair do have an elegant edge so that is why I was thinking I could get away with something that is not country. My entertainment center is rustic and 6 feet tall by about 10 feet wide so it is the focal point almost immediately. What should I do to tie all this together? The furniture (entertainment center, couch and chair) have to stay. I would like any and all advice on this. Thanks.I need all advice on this decorating question. How would you make a living room come together with this furn.
It sounds like you have some formal furniture in a pretty casual room. That alone can be a challenge. There are of course many many options. A simple one may be new curtains, to go with everything. But the rustic vs formal is a puzzle. If the sofa and chair have some pretty severe lines, you may want to soften them with a lumpy hand woven throw, and/or some over stuffed pillows. A nice sisal rug may help pull some of the elements together. You would be surprised just how much bringing in some nice plants will tie the place together. Some palms in the corners, and by the windows, and a smaller one by the high backed chair. Have fun - good luck!I need all advice on this decorating question. How would you make a living room come together with this furn.
I think you need to rethink the curtains first. Houndstooth doens't fit with the foral patterns. You have a country chic theme almost. Find a solid sofa, bring in pillows with different patterns, but with the colors of the other pieces. Find curtain panels that have a soft plaid or stripe in the red perhaps. Not a bold pattern but a subdued shade. OR, pick up on the mexican theme in the pottery. Does it have the tericotta colors? If you have the right shade of red in your other pieces you can find a color of tericotta,(clay colors that compliment red), perhaps paint the wall behind the entertainment center a warm shade that compliments the red tones in furniture and play up the mexican pottery, perhaps a leather sofa in a soft warm shade or soft cream. Stay away from more print for the new sofa. If you have a red that looks almost black, you could bring in textures by using wrought iron. It works with your rustic entertainment center and the pottery. Keep the curtains simple, use wrought iron hardware. Hard to do this without seeing your space. Hope this helps
The floral sofa will be easier to blend if u will buy a plain (solid color) sofa and chair cover, maybe with brown...hue. the floral and the plaid will be hard to tie together. Then get an area rug that will match with everything.
Give it all to good will and buy new.
A rug would really tie the room together.
pillows -

No comments:

Post a Comment