Saturday, August 21, 2010

I need some advice on grow a cabbage?

My son brought home a cabbage from school, he has to grow it for sience class. What is needed to grow the perfect cabbage?I need some advice on grow a cabbage?
good fertilised soil and when planted, you need to keep the


pests away i cover my cabbages with mesh to keep butterfly's


off them and i spray with feed once a week, and you should get


some lovely big cabbagesI need some advice on grow a cabbage?
The best way to grow a cabbage is : good soil, lots of sun, enough water and the best way to guarantee a beautiful plant is to get a piece of 2-3' high wire chicken fence and place it in a somewhat close ring around the plant. As the plant grows and fills out, the cabbage is forced to keep a beautiful shape and provide the perfect head of cabbage.
I'm assuming you mean a cabbage plant, and not a mature cabbage. It need to be planted outside, in an area that receives at least 6 hours of sun daily. Plant it at the same depth it was growing in the starter pot, in well-worked soil, and water it thoroughly. Keep it moist, but not soggy, until you see new growth, and then see that it gets an inch of water per week. Fertilize with any good plant food (MiracleGro is good) according to the instructions on the package. Watch for pests such as cabbage loopers (smooth green caterpillars) and pick off. Good luck!
haha I am doing this same project with my niece! If it's the big ones make sure you have a lot of room, they get pretty big. I have mine in a 1/2 wine barrel and I think that may be too small. I water it once a week and put some time released fertilizer in it. I live in CA and the direct sun was too much for it and I pulled it in under the shade of my grape arbor.





If its the same program here is their website:





http://www.bonnieplants.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment