Monday, August 23, 2010

Can you give me some advice on what plants are best to grow in shady places...?

I'm thinking evergreens and also colourful annuals.Can you give me some advice on what plants are best to grow in shady places...?
I have a border with Hosta of different colors and Astilbe, it looks great in the summer





http://images.google.com/images?q=astilb鈥?/a>Can you give me some advice on what plants are best to grow in shady places...?
You have been given the names of any number of shade loving plants,any of these should give you a good display of greenery.Colour %26amp; shade however posea tricky challenge,colours come into fiery display when they have their share of sun,so also flowering plants.


I would suggest you add variety to the area by mixing in green %26amp; white or shades of grreen by planting varigated specimens ,break monotony by planting attractive shapes as you get in ferns %26amp; palms,also add visual interest by using stones or wood in attractibe shades %26amp; shapes.


Survey a few local nurseries for plants %26amp; advise.
I am blessed with a shady border :-( but there are lots of lovely plants for the area... Hosta (mentioned above), mecanopsis, Alchemilla mollis (lady's mantle), Lunaria annual 'Variegata', Euphorbia characias subsp. wulfennii, Ajuga reptans (colourful ground cover), Hedera helix 'Buttercup' (Ivy to climb up a fence), Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' (variegated grass), Brunnera 'Dawsons White' (foliage interest), Angelica archangelica (for height), Rogersia pinnata (nice flowers), Tiarella cordifolia. I think you will struggle with colourful annuals because of lack of sun - bulbs would do OK though. Good luck :-)
Try the below link, it is what I used when looking for something to put in shady areas and is great site.
I have a very shady backyard garden and it is filled with hostas and ferns. I have struggled to have some color there. I am going to try impatiens this year based on my neighbor's advice. Maybe they can work for you as well.
ferns are great. arrow leaf fern cold hardy to -25. also angel trumpet cold hardy to 10.
Hosta It will grow any where.
plastic ones
try a fern or a hosta
hai........

No comments:

Post a Comment