Monday, August 23, 2010

Can anyone give me some advice on buying furniture for the first time? I am on a very tight budget.?

I'm going to be a senior in college next year, and I'm moving into a smallish studio apartment off-campus. I don't have a lot of money (starving college student), so I'm looking for less expensive items (preferably used so it won't be so bad if they get stains or something). Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look for good deals on furniture, especially beds and matresses? (My twin-sized bed at home is too small to use when my boyfriend comes to visit, so I need to find a bigger one)


Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.Can anyone give me some advice on buying furniture for the first time? I am on a very tight budget.?
I would advise you to spend the little money you have on a new bed. Never buy a used one, because you don't know if it will come complete with bed bugs, lice or something else horrible. Buy the mattress and box spring, and put it on the floor. You can buy a bed frame later when you get some more money. Someone here will probably come up with a good idea for a cheap bed.


Furniture can be easily acquired at garage and yard sales, sales by students leaving campus, and places like Goodwill stores. You can get some a cable spool that is used to hold telephone wire and throw a piece of fabric over it to make a bedside or coffee table. Book shelves can be made from boards and bricks or spray painted cinder blocks.Can anyone give me some advice on buying furniture for the first time? I am on a very tight budget.?
any thrift store should be your hunting grounds, garage sales, free stuff in the paper or the under 100 $ section if you have it. check the boards at local grocery stores for good deals and of course talk to family members incase they are throwing things away. even if the stuff is ugly you can always spruce it up with some new fabric and a few accent pillows. as for a bed, why not try a futon and buy an extra piece of foam it will be cushy and comfy and best of all you might be able to pick up a cheap one by checking out thrift stores. happy hunting!!
sam's club, BJ's, and Salvation army and Good will.
go too craigslist in your state they have used items .and alot of things on there are very nice. good luck! www.craigslist.com
I am also on a tight budget and what I have done is shop at yard sales. The only problem with yard sales is that you have to have a truck and someone to help you take it home. I bought my living room furniture from someone who was advertising in the classified ads of my local newspaper. I got a great deal. I have been buying used furniture for about 10 years and have had good luck. Good luck to you and stay in school!!!
are you in the uk? try your local freecycle online.
All good ideas... One correction is that its craigslist.org... If you want new stuff you cant beat ikea of course thoe its still not best on a budget yard sales are a hit or miss type deal... I would say craigslist is best especially if your in a college town chances are you will find alot of stuff on craigslist that other college students are trying to sell to move back home so there should be an assortement available... either way good luck
1] Buy a good bed [ frame can be used, mattress /boxspring should be new ]


2] Buy a table and at least two chairs- used ok [ for eating, studing, etc.]


3] Sofa and comfy chair - used is OK, make sure is clean
  • chapped lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment